A BLUE plaque to mark the Crown and Shamrock’s historical connections with the antiquarian and Celtic revivalist - Francis Joseph Bigger, was unveiled at the historic Glengormley pub this week.
Belfast man Francis Joseph Bigger was a founder member of the Ulster Public House Association which took over the running of the bar in 1901.
Originally called Ballvesey Stores, the pub sold groceries and was a halting point for the stagecoaches to Antrim markets and beyond.
However, it had gained a poor reputation and the Church of Ireland - owners of the site - called on the services of Bigger, a founder member of the Ulster Public House Association.
Read the full story in this week’s TIMES...