Why not have a go at this really easy but super tasty homemade tomato soup? Young people from the Carrickfergus YMCA Step Up programme, cooked it up in minutes and enjoyed it with toasted french stick and grated cheddar cheese.
Roast tomato soup
24 cherry tomatoes
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 large onion finely diced
3 cloves garlic finely chopped
4 sticks celery finely diced
2 teaspoons fennel seeds
1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves, picked and chopped
4 tablespoons tomato ketchup
1 litre vegetable stock
1 dessertspoon sherry vinegar
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Heat the vegetable oil in a saucepan, add the onion, garlic, celery, thyme and fennel seeds and cook with the lid on for approximately 5 minutes until the onions and celery have softened.
2. Prick the tomatoes and put into the pan and cook for 5 minutes with the lid on.
3. Add the tomato ketchup, stir and cook for a few seconds.
4. Now add the vegetable stock, bring to the boil, and simmer gently for 10 minutes.
5. Season with salt and pepper and add sherry vinegar, then blend well until smooth.
6. Delicious served with goats cheese crostinis.
Grill slices of ciabatta bread on both sides. While they’re still hot, rub one side gently with the cut side of a garlic clove and drizzle with good-quality extra virgin olive oil. Now finish with your favourite toppings...and season well.
• Goats cheese, (optional sliced olives, tomato and basil leaves)
• Tomato and chilli salsa
• Cream cheese, smoked salmon, horseradish, lemon and dill
• Saute mushrooms with garlic, thyme and balsamic vinegar
Keep it simple: Simply serve the soup with sliced toasted crusty bread and melted cheddar cheese.