The Governor of Northern Ireland Lord Wakehurst was invited to officially open the new Belfast High School in 1965.
The school moved from the city, re-locating to Shore Road, Jordanstown.
The new school opened at the former Ardilea House, which was built in 1951.
It comprised of two arts and crafts rooms; five science labs; two domestic science rooms; music room; kitchen/canteen; assembly hall as well as 20 new classrooms with more than 320 acres of playing fields.
The East Antrim Times stated that the previous year’s senior pupils were called on to “pitch in” with the move from the city.
There were 720 pupils enrolled at the school.