Representatives of the No-Arc21 anti-incinerator campaign group met with SDLP representatives on Friday, March 21 to discuss the controversial plan by the arc21 waste management group to build a multi-million pound Energy from Waste plant at Hightown Quarry near Mallusk.
No-Arc21 chairman, Colin Buick, described the meeting with Alex Attwood MLA, Cllr Noreen McClelland and Cllr Pat Convery as “very informative”.
“The former Environment Minister (Mr Attwood) gave us a good hearing, pledging support for the No-Arc21 campaign against the Hightown incinerator.
“He and his colleagues confirmed what we know already - that it is the wrong technology in the wrong area - and said they would not be supporting the arc21/Becon project for the incineration of council waste in the Hightown area,” Mr Buick said.
Meanwhile, members of the No-Arc21 group say they fear that a decision announced last week that controversial plans for a £500m gasification plant to handle municipal waste in the north west have been shelved, could mean that the proposed Hightown EfW plant would be “a dumping ground for all council waste in Northern Ireland.”