Friends gather to remember victims of ‘the silent killer’

Tragic loss: Neil McFerran (left) and Aaron Davidson, who died in a gas leak at a holiday apartment in Castlerock on August 3, 2010.
Tragic loss: Neil McFerran (left) and Aaron Davidson, who died in a gas leak at a holiday apartment in Castlerock on August 3, 2010.

FAMILY and friends of the Whiteabbey teenagers who died in carbon monoxide poisoning tragedy last summer gathered at Loughshore Park on Wednesday (August 3) to pay tribute to ‘two amazing young men’.

Chinese lanterns were lit and set off into the night sky in memory of life-long friends Neil McFerran and Aaron Davidson. The Glengormley High School pupils, both aged 18, died after a gas leak at their holiday apartment in Castlerock on August 3, 2010. Their friend Matthew Gaw, who was also in the property, survived.

Speaking to the Times this week, Neil’s father, Johnny McFerran, revealed how both families were touched by the number of people who gathered at the shoreline to remember their sons.

“A few of Neil and Aaron’s friends asked if they could do something to mark the anniversary and we said okay,” he explained. “We went down to Loughshore thinking there’d be a handful of people there, but we were really surprised to see about 80 people setting off these Chinese lanterns. It was a really nice tribute to the boys.”

Following the tragedy last year, Neil and Aaron’s parents set up a charity, the Gis A Hug Foundation, with the aim of making people aware of the dangers of carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning, known as ‘the silent killer’.

Read the full story in this week’s Times...