Loyalist brutally attacked and left for dead

Darren Moore.
Darren Moore.

A SENIOR figure in loyalist circles was found badly beaten and left for dead in the grounds of a local primary school.

Darren Moore was said to be in a “stable and comfortable” condition following a paramilitary-style attack last Wednesday, April 10.

The 43-year-old was badly beaten, with what police believe was a claw hammer, and had both his arms and legs broken in the vicious attack.

It’s believed he will require extensive reconstructive surgery following the assault.

He was found in an underpass near a primary school in the Manse Drive area of New Mossley.

It has been reported that he may have been targeted by members of the UVF.

Police have appealed for information relating to the assault and urged anyone who may have witnessed the incident or who has evidence relating to the assault to contact them.

They would not comment on the motive behind the attack, but said all lines of inquiry would be investigated.

Originally police had reported that Mr Moore was found in the grounds of a nearby primary school, however, they have since confirmed that was not the case.

Last year Mr Moore was acquitted of murder during the high-profile so-called supergrass trial.

He was one of 11 men, including police informer Mark Haddock, who were found not guilty of the murder of UDA man Tommy English. They were also cleared of other charges including UVF membership, wounding, possessing guns and hijacking.

Darren is a former professional footballer who played in goal for north Belfast side Crusaders and was once on the books of London club Millwall.