LUCKY TO BE ALIVE

Twelve-year-old Jake shows the serious facial injuries he suffered when a gas canister exploded in a fire at a disused hardware store in the Rathcoole estate.
Twelve-year-old Jake shows the serious facial injuries he suffered when a gas canister exploded in a fire at a disused hardware store in the Rathcoole estate.
0
Have your say

A RATHCOOLE schoolboy who suffered serious facial burns when a gas canister exploded in a fire at a disused building in the estate last week has warned other young people about the dangers of starting fires.

Twelve-year-old Jake spoke to the Times this week about how he and three of his friends were injured when the gas cylinder exploded in a fire which had been lit in a bin at the former Gildea’s Home and Garden outlet at Barna Square.

Jake revealed how he and his friends climbed a wall and squeezed through a gap in the railings to get into the vacant property last Wednesday afternoon (August 10), but says that he doesn’t know who started the fire.

“We didn’t know there was a gas canister in the bin. If we’d known it was in there, we’d have been well away before it blew up,” he said.

Read the full story in this week’s Times...