Picture special: Take a trip down memory lane

1930s... Ballyclare Main Street, looking towards The Square. Pic Courtesy of Ballyclare Historical Society.
1930s... Ballyclare Main Street, looking towards The Square. Pic Courtesy of Ballyclare Historical Society.

This incredible selection of pictures shows what areas such as Ballyclare, Glengormley, Monkstown and Carnmoney looked like many decades ago.

The images, most of which were taken long before the formation of the Newtownabbey borough, are an amazing glimpse into the past and a reminder of just how much the area has changed over the years.

Molly Anne's bar in the centre of Glengormley, which is now the site of the Glen Inn. Pic courtesy of Robert Williamson.

Molly Anne's bar in the centre of Glengormley, which is now the site of the Glen Inn. Pic courtesy of Robert Williamson.

• Do you have any old photographs you’d like to share? Email them to news@newtownabbeytimes.co.uk

John Smith, owner of the Forkroad Garage, which was at the junction of Antrim Road and Ballyclare Road in Glengormley. It is thought the garage was the first in Ireland to give free air to customers. Picture courtesy of Abbey Historical Society.

John Smith, owner of the Forkroad Garage, which was at the junction of Antrim Road and Ballyclare Road in Glengormley. It is thought the garage was the first in Ireland to give free air to customers. Picture courtesy of Abbey Historical Society.

The junction of Monkstown Road and Jordanstown Road in the 1950s. Picture courtesy of Abbey Historical Society.

The junction of Monkstown Road and Jordanstown Road in the 1950s. Picture courtesy of Abbey Historical Society.

Carnmoney Village in 1910. Picture courtesy of Abbey Historical Society.

Carnmoney Village in 1910. Picture courtesy of Abbey Historical Society.

1950s... Looking towards Coulter's Paper Shop. Pic courtesy of the Ballyclare Historical Society.

1950s... Looking towards Coulter's Paper Shop. Pic courtesy of the Ballyclare Historical Society.

McConnell's Garage in the 1960s. Picture courtesy of Ballyclare Historical Society.

McConnell's Garage in the 1960s. Picture courtesy of Ballyclare Historical Society.

Monkstown National School, built in 1854 by Carnmoney Presbyterian Church, changed its name to a Public Elementary School in 1922. Over the years a fourth classroom, assembly hall and servery were all added to the original building. For a time Abbey Presbyterian Church used the assembly hall, prior ro the white church being built at the crossroads. In 1970, the pupils transferred to Hollybank Primary School. The building has also been used by the North Eastern Education and Library Board as an educational guidance centre. Picture courtesy of Abbey Historical Society.

Monkstown National School, built in 1854 by Carnmoney Presbyterian Church, changed its name to a Public Elementary School in 1922. Over the years a fourth classroom, assembly hall and servery were all added to the original building. For a time Abbey Presbyterian Church used the assembly hall, prior ro the white church being built at the crossroads. In 1970, the pupils transferred to Hollybank Primary School. The building has also been used by the North Eastern Education and Library Board as an educational guidance centre. Picture courtesy of Abbey Historical Society.