Police have described last week’s Mini Twelfth parade in Glengormley as “trouble-free”, despite claims by a Glengormley resident that a mob tried to attack people’s homes.
Following comments made last week by an Orange Order representative and a unionist councillor that the event had passed off peacefully, one man contacted the Times claiming that wasn’t the case.
The man, who would only identify himself as ‘a resident of Church Crescent’, claimed that a group of parade supporters threw fireworks at local householders who’d gathered in the Church Way area to observe the demonstration.
“Fireworks were thrown at Elmfield residents by the crowd following the parade and they were shouting obscenities and sectarian abuse. At one point a crowd of about 50 broke away from the main parade and tried to attack people’s houses,” the man claimed.
“This is totally unacceptable. There need to be restrictions put on the parade in the future - much tougher restrictions.”
Despite the man’s claims, the PSNI said that other than some minor incidents, the event had passed off peacefully.
“Following positive discussions involving local police and organisers, the parade took place on Tuesday night and was itself trouble-free,” a spokesman told the Times.
“On the periphery of the event a number of fireworks were set off in the Church Way area and one 14-year-old youth was detained at that location on suspicion of disorderly behaviour. He was taken home to his family. Police also seized a quantity of alcohol,” he added.
More than 300 Orange Order brethren and bandsmen took part in the annual parade last Tuesday (June 25).
Thousands of Orangemen will head for Glengormley on July 12 for the annual East Antrim Combine demonstration.
• More parade pictures in this week’s Times...