Roads Service has revealed that it plans to launch a new website to keep residents and motorists informed about local road closures during the ongoing A8 dual carriageway project.
The move comes following complaints from residents living near Ballynure about the length of time some routes in the area will be closed off to facilitate the ongoing works.
Church Road was due to close on Wednesday (June 5) for a period of one year, while Ballybracken Road will also be closed for several months, but not, according to Roads Service, for a full year as had been advertised.
Moss Road, which has been shut previously, is expected to be closed again for a period of around two months. But Roads Service has revealed that the date of closure is “under review to avoid a clash with the Ballybracken Road closure.”
One local resident who contacted the Times this week said that local residents and business owners face lengthy diversions during the road closures.
“This is absolutely crazy in a time of recession,” the woman told the Times. “We understand that the road has to be done, but why should business owners and residents be expected to pay the extra costs of being diverted miles out of the way every time we want to get to or from our properties?”
It’s understood that residents have contacted local MPs Sammy Wilson and William McCrea to complain about the situation, claiming that the extent of the road closures wasn’t made clear to them during the consultation period.
“These road closures are essential in order to construct the new A8 dual carriageway, however, every effort will be made to reduce the length of the closures and to minimise disruption to the travelling public,” a DRD spokesperson said.
She gave an assurance that “a project website will be launched shortly” and will publish information about pending road closures and dates when routes are expected to reopen.