TWO commemorative benches have been unveiled at Glengormley High School in memory of former pupils Aaron Davidson and Neil McFerran, who died in a carbon monoxide poisoning incident last year.
The life-long friends from Whiteabbey were on a summer break at a holiday apartment in Castlerock when tragedy struck. The sixth formers, both aged 18, were awaiting their school exam results.
The boys’ parents visited the school last week for the official unveiling of the new benches, which carry plaques in memory of Aaron and Neil.
Principal Lex Hayes explained that the school had been looking for a way to mark the boys’ contribution to school life and that the pupils had put forward the idea of installing benches where students regularly congregate near the canteen.
Mr Hayes said the teak benches would be a lasting reminder, for current students and future generations, of two role model pupils.
“Aaron and Neil were involved in community and youth work, and were involved in looking after the younger pupils here, so it’s fitting that these benches can be used by the pupils every day,” he told the Times.
Read the full story in this week’s paper...