Rev John Dickinson from Carnmoney Presbyterian Church and Fr John Forsythe of St Mary’s on the Hill Parish conducted a joint dedication/consecration ceremony to mark the opening of the new extension at Carnmoney Cemetery.
With burial spaces in the existing cemetery dwindling, work began in May on a section of land at O’Neill Road, adjacent to the roundabout at Prince Charles Way, to create more grave sites.
Over recent years the council has been looking at a variety of options for creating more burial space within the borough.
It is currently considering a number of potential sites for a new cemetery, but with nothing yet finalised, it took the decision to extend the existing burial ground.
Speaking at the dedication/consecration ceremony, the Mayor, Alderman Thomas Hogg, commented: “As burial space was running low in the borough, the council had to consider the creation of more burial spaces over recent years. After exploring all possibilities, it was decided to extend the existing cemetery site on the O’Neill Road, which has been open since 1906.
“The new extension provides additional burial space that should accommodate burials for a further two years.”
Meanwhile, council officials have issued a reminder to local residents that Carnmoney Cemetery burial spaces cannot be pre-purchased and can only be acquired for imminent funerals.