Rathcoole net three points against Sky Blues

editorial image

Ballymena and Provincial League round-up

Premier Division: Rathcoole FC edged a seven-goal thriller against Magherafelt Sky Blues at The Diamond, moving them one point ahead of them in the league table.

Rathcoole were early on the attack and took the lead when James Doyle scored with a first-time shot. The home side extended their lead with two goals before the break, courtesy of John English and Brian Black.

The Sky Blues pulled a goal back early in the second session, only for Gareth Bond to net a fourth goal for Rathcoole.

The visitors refused to sit back and they managed to net on two more occasions but Rathcoole steadied the ship to claim all three points. The Sky Blues had a man sent off in the last minute of the game.

Crawford Cup: Remo are through to round four of the Crawford Cup after Saturday’s 1-0 win over Ballysillan Swifts. Eoin Bradley’s 82nd-minute strike gave them victory on the 3G at Jordanstown.

Division One: Mallusk Athletic trailed 1-0 away to Magherafelt Sky Blues before the match was abandoned by referee David Trainor in the 60th minute after a fracas. Both teams will now face the IFA’s disciplinary committee and afterwards, the league’s committee.

Division Three: Rathcoole Reserves defeated Clough Rangers Athletic 3-1 on Saturday. The result cements John Logan’s side’s third-place berth, but they do have three games in hand over second-placed Brantwood Reserves who are eight points ahead.

Division Four: Ballysillan Swifts Reserves moved to within three points of Saturday’s opposition Monkstown with a 3-1 win. Elsewhere, 3rd Ballyclare OB defeated Forthriver 2-1.

Canada Trophy R3: Carnmoney booked their spot in the next round with a 4-1 win over Red Star.

Carnmoney’s Ricky Thompson opened the scoring in the 10th minute before Stuart Thompson brought Red Star level on the half-hour.

After the break the home side regained the lead through Michael Streight and Nigel Tweed scored number three in the 65th minute. Alan Harris ensured the win for Carnmoney when he rounded things off with a fourth goal, five minutes from time.