Weber seals win over Ballymoney

Michelle Weber, of Ulster Elks, keeps a close eye on her Ballymoney opponent. Photo: Philip McCloy
Michelle Weber, of Ulster Elks, keeps a close eye on her Ballymoney opponent. Photo: Philip McCloy

Jordanstown-based Ulster Elks defeated Ballymoney 3-1 in the Ulster Hockey Premier League last Friday.

First-half goals from Gemma Frazer and former Canadian international Stephanie Jameson put the Elks in front at the break. Ballymoney reduced the deficit in the second half, but Michelle Weber secured the win with a late strike.

It was a big result for the side skippered by Kirstie Lammey, and puts them one point behind second-placed Pegasus and five behind leaders, Ards who they face on Saturday.

“The girls are all still buzzing after that performance, Ballymoney are a strong outfit and for a period at 2-1 the game still could have went either way, but I’m proud of how the girls defended during that period and bounced back to seal a great win,” said Elks’ skipper, Lammey.

Sports Studies student Frazer her side off to the perfect start, giving them the lead in the second minute when she firing home from a tight angle after Sammy Jo Frazer in the Ballymoney goal had saved an initial shot.

Number two came along soon after with Jameson converting a penalty-corner which the ‘Money goalkeeper got a touch to before the ball trundled over the line.

Ballymoney did rally towards the end of the first session but never really managed to trouble Rebecca Davidson in the Elks’ goal.

After the break, the visitors had opportunities from a couple of penalty corners which were well defended.

The students could have put the game to bed when when Lynsey Neish saw her point-blank effort saved, followed by Laura McAlpine missing from a similar angle.

The Elks were left to rue their missed chances as Ballymoney pulled a goal back with 17 minutes of the second half remaining from a hotly-disputed penalty corner which was clinically dispatched by the experienced Susie Martin.

Ballymoney could have levelled matters but Davidson produced a fine save before Lammey charged down a second effort.

The Jordanstown students finished as they had started when another Canadian, Weber, rattled in a penalty corner with less than five minutes remaining.

More hockey coverage in today’s Newtownabbey Times. Available in shops now.