This salad is simply delicious, and full of the flavours of summer.
Arlene from Carrickfergus Cookery School, Carrick YMCA suggests a new ingredient for you to try this week: Halloumi Cheese, which is a firm, slightly springy white cheese from Cyprus.
Chargrilled asparagus, courgette and halloumi salad
350g cherry tomatoes, halved
50ml olive oil
coarse sea salt and black pepper
24 asparagus spears
2 large courgettes
200g halloumi, sliced 0.5cm thick
For the basil oil:
75ml olive oil
1 garlic clove, chopped
25g basil leaves
a pinch of salt
¼ tsp black pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 170C. Toss the tomatoes with 1 tablespoon of the oil and season with salt and pepper. Spread them out, skin-side down, on a baking tray lined with parchment or foil and roast in the middle of the oven for 50 minutes, until semi-dried. Set aside to cool.
2. Trim the woody bases off the asparagus with a vegetable peeler and blanch in boiling water for four minutes. Drain and immediately refresh in cold water. Transfer to a bowl and toss with a little of the oil, salt and pepper.
3. Slice the courgettes diagonally and drizzle with a tablespoon of the oil, salt and pepper.
4. Place a ridged griddle pan on a high heat and leave for a few minutes until very hot. Grill the courgettes and asparagus, turning after a minute and making sure you have nice, clear char marks on all sides. Remove from the pan and leave to cool.
5. Brush the remaining oil onto the griddle pan, fry the halloumi for 2-3 minutes per side, until there are clear griddle marks on both sides. Drain on paper towels.
6. To make the basil oil, blitz all the ingredients in a blender until smooth.
7. Arrange the rocket, vegetables and cheese on a flat serving plate.