Food heaven! The Step Up group had a go at making champ this week at Carrickfergus cookery school, Carrick YMCA! It went down a treat as it was snowing outside and served with this onion gravy and sausages scored 10/10 for pure food heaven!
2 medium onions, peeled and thinly sliced
2 tbsp vegetable oil
2 tbsp butter
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp balsamic vinegar
750ml/ 3 cups beef stock
4 tsp corn flour/corn starch
4 tsp cold water
Salt and black pepper
1. Melt the oil and butter in a large saucepan over a gentle heat. Add the onion and cover with a lid.
Cook slowly for approx 10 mins or until the onions are soft and translucent, take care not to burn, the onions should not be browned.
2. Add the sugar and balsamic vinegar to the onions and stir well. Cover with the lid and continue to cook for a further 5 minutes, again making sure they don’t catch.
3. Add the stock and boil gently uncovered for 5 minutes.
4. In a heatproof jug or bowl mix the corn starch/flour with the cold water to create a thin paste.
Pour a little of the hot gravy into the starch mixture and mix thoroughly. Pour the starch mixture back into the gravy, raise the heat to high and boil for 10 minutes or until the gravy is slightly thickened.
5. Season with salt and pepper and keep warm until ready to serve.
COOKS’ TIPS: Delicious served with champ and sausages. To create a shine on the gravy whisk 1 tsp of ice cold butter into the finished gravy before serving.