Banana loaf cake!
If you fancy doing a little bit of home baking on a budget, and you don’t like a lot of washing up, this is the perfect recipe for you.
Its all whizzed up in one bowl and makes enough for a large loaf tin ( approx 12 good slices).
The Step Up group at Carrickfergus Cookery School , Carrick YMCA, were surprised how easy it was to make and I was surprised how quickly it disappeared off the plate!
Banana loaf cake
100g softened butter
175g caster sugar
2 large eggs
2 ripe bananas (mashed)
225g self raising flour
1 tsp. baking powder
2 tbsp milk
1. Preheat the oven to 180C / Fan 160C / Gas 4.
2. Lightly grease a 2lb loaf tin, then line the base and sides with baking parchment
3. Measure all ingredients into a mixing bowl and beat for about 2 minutes, until well blended
4. Spoon the mixture into the tin and level the surface
5. Bake in the pre-heated over for about 1 hour, until well risen and golden brown. A fine skewer inserted in the centre should come out clean if the loaf is ready.
6. Leave to cool in the tin for a few minutes, then turn out, peel off the parchment and finish cooling on a wire rack.
COOKS’ TIP: Decorate the banana loaf with honey icing and pecans : Sieve 25g icing sugar into a bowl and mix in 2 tsp clear honey with 1⁄2 teasp cold water.
Drizzle zigzag fashion over the loaf and arrange a line of pecan halves down the centre.