Newtownabbey’s first horse show took place in May 1959.
According to a report in the Larne Times, there were 355 entries in 18 classes.
The competition was sponsored by the Ulster Riding and Jumping Club.
Originally, it had been planned as a “modest gymkhana”. It was held at Macedon, Whitehouse and attracted “a good attendance” from spectators.
The principal trophy was presented by the urban council for the junior member who achieved the most points.
It was won by George Stewart, from Lisburn.
A special trophy was presented on behalf of Whitehouse residents for the children’s jump class for youngsters under 12 years.
Councillor Gillespie’s family won two firsts, a second and a third, as well as a first for a pony shown for a friend.
The open jump competition was won by Mr W. Cully, a well-known Carrowdore rider.
The club president thanked the council and town clerk for their co-operation and the board of management at Dr Barnardo’s which loaned the ground for the event.
A number of riders donated their winnings to a collection in aid of Dr Barnardo’s homes.