With just days to go until pupils return to the classroom, concerned residents have criticised the decision to close a main road in Ballyclare.
Last week, the Times reported how the Ballynure Road, a main arterial route in the town, will be closed until the end of September.
The closure, which is anticipated to last for six weeks, is to allow for a new storm drain to be installed.
Now residents have taken to social media to voice their frustrations about the decision to implement a “full closure” of the road.
Commenting on Facebook, one said: “They’d all summer to do this, yet they wait ‘til the kids are going back to school!”
Others have criticised the signage used to alert the public about the closure and which businesses can be reached on the road. One confused commentator contended: “Signs aren’t very clear to read where they are positioned at the top of the Ballynure Road.”
Roadworks in the area have been under way as part of the NI Water project since the start of July, although traffic disruption was minimal.
Confirming the extended period of closure, a spokesperson for NI Water said: “NI Water is currently working on the Ballynure Road on a new storm sewer to serve a new development. Detailed traffic management plans have been discussed with TransportNI to try to minimise the impact of these works on residents, businesses and road users. The original road closure was to be in place from Monday, July 25 and to minimise disruption, the contractor was able to work within a single lane closure up until now. However, in order to allow the work to be carried out safely, it is now deemed necessary to close the road in full to carry out the remaining works on the Ballynure Road. It is now anticipated that the full closure will be required for six weeks.
“The section of road affected will be from the entrance to the leisure centre to the entrance of the new development opposite number 107 Ballynure Road. The road will be closed in sections as the work progresses and access will be maintained for residents/businesses and the leisure centre during this time. Pedestrian access will be maintained at all times. NI Water along with our appointed contractor AG Wilson apologise for the disruption and inconvenience this work may cause and assure you we will endeavour to complete the work as soon as practically possible. Customer queries should be directed to Waterline on 03457440088.”