The DRD has confirmed that steps are being taken to alleviate traffic congestion problems in the lower Main Street area of Ballyclare.
The move comes after a number of cars were parked along a section of the Main Street last week, causing increased congestion following the commencement of public realm improvement works in the town.
A spokesperson from the Department for Regional Development said: “DRD is aware of an issue in relation to a small number of cars parking within the works area. The contractor is taking steps to ensure that it does not happen again.”
Ballyclare Cllr David Arthurs called on TransportNI to paint double yellow lines along the stretch of road, claiming that the traffic problems being caused by the ongoing works were being exacerbated by parked cars.
Responding to last week’s traffic chaos, the UUP man said: “I have been contacted by a number of traders and constituents, who have been caught up in the congestion around the Main Street area.
“It is thought the area on lower Main Street, where there had been previous parking spaces available, has been the cause of tailbacks and congestion due to the narrowing of the left hand lane down the street. Through the council I have contacted TransportNI to see if the area in question can have double yellow lines put in place immediately to stop parking, allowing the traffic to move much better.”
The contractor has since put traffic cones along both sides of the road to prevent drivers from parking in the vicinity of the works.
The improvement works started on Monday, February 1 and are expected to run until June.
The £437,000 project will involve work to upgrade existing pavements and street lighting in the lower Main Street, Ballynure Road and Mill Road areas.