East Antrim students are urged to check if they need TV licence

TV Licensing is encouraging Larne, Carrick and Newtownabbey students moving away from home to check whether they will need a TV Licence.

According to new research published by TV Licensing, students move an average of 91 miles to study at university or college.

Young men travelled further on average at 98 miles from home, while women ventured 85 miles.

The research comes as new students ‘flying the nest’ for the first time in the autumn begin their departure preparations.

The study also found that 60 per cent chose their university because they wanted to live in different town or city. Just 6 per cent of students picked their university because it was closest to home.

TV Licensing is encouraging Larne, Carrick and Newtownabbey students moving away from their family home to check www.tvlicensing.co.uk/studentinfo to see if they need to buy a licence when they head off to university or college.

Students need a licence if they are watching or recording TV programmes at the same time as they are broadcast, whatever device they are being viewed on. Generally speaking, students won’t be covered by a communal TV Licence or their parent’s licence. While it is less common for students to take a TV to university with them, tablet ownership amongst students has more than doubled in the past year.

TV Licensing spokesperson Mark Sterling said: “August is a really exciting time for many students going to university or college as they’ve got big changes ahead – especially those moving to a different part of the country. In the rush to get many tasks done, it is easy to overlook things like arranging your TV Licence. So we are encouraging students to think about it sooner rather than later, just so they can check it off the to-do list and focus on relishing in the student lifestyle.”

President of University of Ulster Students’ Union Mark Bell added: “Many first year students will be moving out of home for the first time, starting a new adventure at university. Some will be moving many miles from home, others, just around the corner. Regardless of where they’ve chosen to study, and their reasons for doing so, new students need to make sure they’re licensed if they are going to watch live TV whilst away at uni.”

For further information, simply visit: www.tvlicensing.co.uk/studentinfo, or call TV Licensing on 0300 790 6113.