The Stephenson Mausoleum in Kilbride has undergone significant restoration works as part of a £43,000 conservation project.
The project was funded by GROW South Antrim and Newtownabbey Borough Council, in partnership with the Follies Trust - an organisation dedicated to restoring decorative buildings.
The monument was built in 1837 to commemorate four Ulster medical men: Samuel Martin Stephenson - who was ‘Superintending Surgeon’ in the Madras Presidency - and his three brothers.
Influenced by the family’s time spent in India, the unusual monument has been described as resembling a miniature granite Mogul tomb.
The Mausoleum, located in Kilbride Cemetery, is built from Tardree Rhyolite stone and is of great architectural significance.
The recent conservation works to the Northern Ireland Environment Agency listed monument, included repairing the dome, cleaning and repointing the stone work, replacing the missing architectural elements and conserving the iron door.
For more information about heritage projects in Newtownabbey contact Sam Curry on 028 9034 0064 or email email@example.com