Land to be fenced off after illegal dumping takes place in Ballyclare

Illegal dumping in Ballyclare. INNT 15-805CON
Illegal dumping in Ballyclare. INNT 15-805CON

A section of land on the Doagh Road in Ballyclare, which has been blighted by illegal dumping over the past number of months is to be fenced off to help alleviate the problem.

The land which was formerly the site of a farm is in close proximity to the cemetery on the Doagh Road.

Some of the waste dumped at the site on the Doagh Road. INNT 15-806CON

Some of the waste dumped at the site on the Doagh Road. INNT 15-806CON

It has been plagued by illegal dumping for a number of months, with tyres, rubble, household waste and electrical goods being left at the location.

A spokesperson for the council said: “The council received a complaint regarding illegal dumping of waste on a site at Doagh Road, Ballyclare.

“Environmental Health Officers have visited the site and have made contact with the current owner.

“The matter has also been referred to the Northern Ireland Environment Agency for further investigation.

“The land owner has confirmed that the site will be fenced off to prevent access and that all waste will be removed, prior to construction works commencing.”

The announcement that the land is to be fenced off has been welcomed by UUP councillor David Arthurs.

Cllr Arthurs said: “I welcome the news that the owner will be putting fencing in place to prevent further illegal dumping incidents.

“We don’t want Ballyclare to be an area where illegal dumping takes place. The site that has been affected by illegal dumping is on one of the main routes into the town and by dumping there, it takes away from the beauty of the area.

“People should not take it upon themselves to dump illegally on private land. There are centres at Bruslee and on the O’neill Road where people can dump their waste and I would encourage people to use these centres.

“If anyone has any information about the illegal dumping that has been taking place in Ballyclare, I would urge them to contact the council.”