Man injured in Whiteabbey house fire: Blaze being treated as ‘accidental’

editorial image

A house fire in Whiteabbey which left a man in his 30s with injuries requiring hospital treatment is believed to have started accidentally.

Shortly after 7.30am on Thursday, August 4, the Northern Ireland Fire & Rescue Service (NIFRS) received a report of a fire at residential premises in the Abbeycroft Gardens area.

Two fire appliances from Glengormley Fire Station and one appliance from Whitla Fire Station were deployed to the scene.

“Firefighters wearing breathing apparatus and using a hosereel jet dealt with a bedroom fire in a mid-terraced house in the area,” a Northern Ireland Fire & Rescue Service spokesperson confirmed.

“One man in his 30s who was out of the property upon arrival of firefighters, was taken to a nearby hospital for treatment for smoke inhalation and injuries sustained during the incident.”

Fire crews extinguished the blaze and finished at the scene shortly after 8.20am.

The NIFRS spokesperson confirmed that the fire is being treated as accidental.