Mossley couple praise fire service

A YOUNG Mossley family have praised the fire service after a blaze broke out in their home.

It is believed a fault with an electric blanket caused the fire in an upstairs bedroom around 8.45am on Monday, November 29.

Cherith Trimble, 23, was feeding her eight-week-old daughter Grace when she heard the smoke alarm going off.

She said: "I didn't think much of it. I went up the stairs and I put my head round the door and the bed was on fire, it was a complete shock.

"I immediately ran down the stairs and out of the house with Grace to the neighbour's house who raised the alarm.

"We were still in our pyjamas and I had no feed or blankets to keep Grace warm.

"The two ladies who helped us were great, they got blankets and food while we waited on the fire service. And that was the first time I had met them."

Cherith said she and her daughter were very lucky to be alive: "I don't know what it was about that day but we had changed our regular routine.

"Normally I would be up earlier and Grace would have been sleeping in the bed while I was in the shower around that time.

"But that day things had changed - we were both very fortunate.

"For only eight weeks old Grace has already had an eventful life. When she was born she suffered a bout of MRSA and now this - she is a little miracle.

"The fire service were fantastic from the moment they arrived, they helped save our home."

Read the full story in this week's Times...