Pensioner taken to hospital after blaze

Loughview Terrace. Pic by Google.
Loughview Terrace. Pic by Google.

A pensioner had to be taken to hospital suffering from smoke inhalation after being rescued from a fire at her home in Greenisland.

Last Thursday, fire crews from Carrick and Glengormley were alerted to a blaze in a mid-terraced house at Loughview Terrace.

Firefighters wearing breathing apparatus used a hosereel jet to deal with a small fire in the kitchen.

A 78-year-old woman received oxygen therapy from fire fighters for mild smoke inhalation at the scene.

She was taken to hospital by ambulance.

A neighbour called the fire brigade after hearing a smoke alarm.

The emergency services were alerted to the incident at 6.18 pm.

The Northern Ireland Fire and Rescue Service (NIFRS)said that the cause of the fire appears to have been accidental.

NIFRS has stated: “A smoke alarm can give you those precious few minutes of warning which could help you and your family to get out safely.”

NIFRS has advised that batteries are tested weekly.