AMATEUR LEAGUE: Share of spoils between Rathfern Rangers and UUJ

Rathfern's David Gelndinning was on target against UUJ. INLT 05-990-CON
Rathfern's David Gelndinning was on target against UUJ. INLT 05-990-CON

It was honours even in Saturday’s Divsion 1B derby at the Diamond, where Rathfern Rangers and UUJ fought out a 1-1 draw.

It was a closer game than their last meeting at Nortel at the end of February, when UUJ were 6-1 winners.

Strangely, the Jordanstown side haven’t won a league match since and despite their cluster of high-profile signings, they’re just out of the bottom two on goal difference.

Rangers opened the scoring through David Glendinning after Gordon had flicked on Danny Wright’s throw.

UUJ’s equaliser came in the second half; Ciaran McMullan finishing off Johnny Magennis’s corner.

The students’ player-manager Billy Youle suggested: “We’ve games in hand, we’ll be ok – and so will Rathfern, if they keep scrapping like this.

“Fair play to them, they had done their homework; they man-marked Dom Melly, set up to stop us and fought for every ball. But that’s what you expect from Rathfern, you need to win the battle before you win the game.

“I was happy with our point at home to champions Ballynahinch Olympic on Thursday night, our first clean sheet of the season, but disappointed at this one! We should have won it!”

Rathfern are now two points ahead of UUJ, with an extra game played. Manager Bill Campbell praised the passion in the team.

“We were understrength and had players up from the Seconds who certainly didn’t let themselves down,” he said. “Philip Gordon marked Melly; we knew he could hurt us, having played at a higher level. But I thought we were well worth our point and we could have won it.”

Also in 1B, Wellington Rec said farewell to Brookvale Park for the season with a point against champions Ballynahinch Olympic.

Hinch had to come from behind after Dean Shaw had given Rec an early second-half advantage. Wellington had the last word with a last-gasp penalty from Scott Todd, after Michael Moore was fouled.