AMATEUR LEAGUE: Weekend review

Mossley slipped to second in Division 1c after losing their 100 per cent league record with a 1-1 draw away at 10th-placed Iveagh United.

Monday, 19th October 2015, 9:31 am
Newington Rangers in action against 18th Newtownabbey OB at The Knowe. INLT 42-035-PSB

Manager Garry Campbell suggested: “It was coming. We weren’t good at Saintfield the week before, winning 6-3, but we were 1-3 down at half time. And we weren’t good against Iveagh; slow at the back, giving them too much room, not creating much in midfield and running into people up front. On the big pitch, we couldn’t find space, we were bunching and our passing was poor. The only plus was coming away with a point – which we were lucky enough to get in the end.”

Ben Fletcher gave Mossley a 20th-minute lead and it might have been different had Lee Graham not been deprived by the keeper just before the break.

However, that was Mossley’s last meaningful moment and it was Iveagh who came creeping back just after the turnaround.

It’s four points dropped now in two games for Division 1B’s Wellington Rec, with another 1-1 draw, this time at home to Portaferry Rovers.

Manager Stephen Donald reflected: “The week before we robbed Rathfern yet still could have sneaked it. But without being disrespectful, we should be beating teams like Portaferry, especially at home – only we’re struggling to score goals at the moment.”

Josh McAllister gave the Millbrook outfit a fifth-minute lead but that was as good as it got. Rec were, however, unlucky to see Andy Waide’s effort scrubbed out for a contentious offside decision right on half time.

Rovers levelled after the break but Michael Moore and substitute Stuart Hilditch both had chances to grab all three points for Wellington.

Nortel have been struggling for goals but Saturday’s 5-2 derby win at Islandmagee did them no harm. Substitute Dale Fenner (two), Adam Richmond, Willie McMurdie and Ryan Cardwell were their marksmen.

Manager Lee McCartney maintained: “It should have been more than five but I can’t complain, although I’m not that happy about conceding another two sloppy ones.”

Elsewhere, Gary Orr’s double gave Rathfern a 2-1 victory at Ballynahinch United; Larne Tech went down 4-1 to St Pat’s at Olympia, despite Reece McGinley giving them a one goal interval lead; UUJ drew 2-2 at Grove United, while 18th Newtownabbey were 5-1 winners at Newington Rangers.