Clinical Crues punish 10-man Ballyclare at Seaview

Crusaders Jordan Owens  in action with Ballyclare's Kyle Buckley
Crusaders Jordan Owens in action with Ballyclare's Kyle Buckley


Crusaders booked their place in the semi-finals of the Irish Cup with a comfortable 5-0 victory over Ballyclare Comrades on Saturday.

Goals from Nathan Hanley, Matthew Snoddy, Declan Caddell, David McAllister and Gary McCutcheon eased the Crues into the last four.

Ballyclare had captain Andrew Doyle sent off for two bookable offences in the first half, compounding the Championship side’s misery in north Belfast.

Crusaders were gifted a soft penalty in the 15th minute when Doyle’s flailing arm connected with Hanley’s corner.

Hanley stepped up to send Paddy Flood the wrong way with the resulting spot-kick.

Ballyclare were reduced to 10 men in the 36th minute when Doyle received a second yellow card for a foul on Davy Magowan.

The home side started to turn the screw, with Paul Heatley hitting the crossbar with a vicious cross from the left.

Ballyclare had their moments in the opening half, notably when Sean O’Neill was forced into decent saves from Daniel Smyth and Kyle Agnew.

The home side doubled their lead in the 55th minute with Snoddy on target.

Heatley was sent clear on the left, he crossed to Snoddy whose initial effort was blocked by Flood, but the winger picked up the rebound and slotted home.

It was 3-0 on 76 minutes when Caddell ghosted into the Comrades box to turn home Richard Clarke’s incisive pass.

Substitute David McAllister added a fourth in the 89th minute with a low rasping drive from the edge of the box.

And fellow sub McCutcheon rounded off the scoring when he tapped home Eamon McAllister’s low cross to make it 5-0.

CRUSADERS: O’Neill, Leeman, Magowan, Hanley, Robinson, Caddell (E. McAllister 79), Owens, Snoddy, Clarke, Heatley (D. McAllister 79), Smith (McCutcheon 84). Subs not used: McMaster, King.

BALLYCLARE: Flood, Doherty (Wilkinson 69), Buckley, Getty, Doyle, Gage, Agnew, McCabe, Trussell, Smyth (Simms 85), Gray (McClean 46). Subs not used: Conn, Cooper.

Referee: Mark Courtney (Dungannon)