Ellis at the double against Killymoon

editorial image

TWO EARLY strikes by Daniel Ellis laid the foundation for Ballyclare Comrades Reserves’ comprehensive Canada Trophy triumph.

The all Ballymena Junior League Division 1 clash at Dixon Park resulted in a 5-0 whitewash against struggling Killymoon Rangers Reserves.

The Cookstown outfit came to Ballyclare as underdogs and that Ellis brace saw them turn around two down. And in a one-sided second session they contributed to their own downfall by conceding two penalties.

Jonathan Boyd converted the first after he was felled in the box in the 48th minute, and just before the final whistle there was a repeat performance by Ricky MacAuley after he had been upended.

In between teenage substitute David McCallen, on for Harry Spence, played a long ball over the top for Aaron Lindsay to outpace his marker and drill the ball past the advancing keeper.

Killymoon had battled well during the opening half hour, but it was downhill all the way for them after Ellis scored twice in as many minutes. He opened the scoring in the 28th minute with a fine shot on the turn after collecting a pass from Jonathan Boyd. Two minutes later he doubled his tally when he beat two defenders before tucking the ball in to the bottom corner of the net.

In the absence of manager Jonty Watson, coach Marty Quinn was in charge. “Killymoon arrived with only 12 players, but I must commend them for their commitment and never-say-die attitude, despite being mainly on the back foot,” he said.

“With Marc Rainey out injured I had to reshuffle at the back, but Brian Wilson and Dan Lunney dove-tailed perfectly at the heart of the defence. Our keeper Warren McAllister had little to do. David Higgins had been missing for a couple of months so it was good to have him back in the squad.”

He added: “In windy conditions I was pleased with our professional performance and the clean sheet, and I hope that the lads will continue in the same vein this weekend when I will again be in charge against Cookstown Olympic at Dixon Park in a league fixture.”