FC Whiteabbey pay penalty in Crawford Cup

3rd Ballyclare OB lost 6-2 to Ballysillan Swifts at Foundry Lane.
3rd Ballyclare OB lost 6-2 to Ballysillan Swifts at Foundry Lane.

Ballymena & Provincial League local round-up

Crawford Cup: Carniny Amateurs needed extra-time and penalties to see off FC Whiteabbey after the two sides played out a 2-2 draw in this second-round clash.

Barry Smith put Carniny in front in the 15th minute, while Whiteabbey had a man sent off before half-time.

The Whites scored two goals in a nine-minute spell to edge ahead, before Adam Whitehurst levelled seven minutes from time. Carniny had the edge in the shootout, winning 4-1.

Goals from Adam Agnew, Eoin Bradley, Jason Bannon and Patrick Brown helped Remo to a 4-2 victory at home to Antrim Rovers in round three. They will meet Ballysillan Swifts in the next stage of the competition.

Rathcoole FC are through to the last four thanks to a 3-0 win over Cookstown Olympic.

Gareth Bond and Adam Richmond were among the goalscorers for Rathcoole.

Junior One: Ross Middleton, Joe Ward, Matt Fegan (two) all found the net in Mallusk Athletics’s 4-0 win over Woodlands. First-half strikes from Middleton and Ward meant the Carrick men had to chase a two-goal deficit at the interval before Fegan scored a brace in the last 10 minutes of the game.

Carnmoney FC emerged as 5-3 winners against Chimney Corner Reserves.

Corner went two up before Alan McQuitty and Manus O’Gorman struck to bring the scores level. Darren Jordan netted twice to put Carnmoney in the driving seat before Michael Streight landed number five. The visitors reduced the winning margin with a last-minute strike.

Junior Two: FC Ballynure Reserves lost 3-0 away to Moyola Park Olympic, while Ballyclare North End also tasted defeat, a 2-1 reverse to Ballysillan Swifts. Ricky Caulfield hit North End’s only goal of the game.

Ronnie Burns and Ryan Stewart were on target for Ballynure OB ‘B’ as they lost 3-2 at home to Sport and Leisure Swifts Reserves.

Junior Four: William Swain netted twice in 3rd Ballyclare’s 6-2 defeat to Ballysillan Swifts Reserves.

Elsewhere, Glengormley United lost 1-0 at home to Monkstown FC.