FOOTBALL: Knockbreda have the edge over Ballyclare

Michael O'Hanlon in control the ball in the box. INLT 05-911-CON Photo: Tim Duff
Michael O'Hanlon in control the ball in the box. INLT 05-911-CON Photo: Tim Duff
  • Championship 1: Ballyclare Comrades 1-3 Knockbreda

Ballyclare lost their third league game on the spin as they went down 3-1 to Knockbreda.

Knockbreda’s Matthew Johnston saw red in the 20th minute, while the Comrades had a full complement until first-half injury time when Sandy Dermott was shown a second yellow.

The teams turned round all square at 1-1, but the visitors added two more in the final quarter to finish 3-1 winners.

Home fans were cheering in the fifth minute when Jonny McClurg headed past McBride from a Michael O’Hanlon corner, but Jordan Hughes soon equalised from the penalty spot after he had been fouled by Jason Johnston.

With the tackles flying in, the referee cooled the temperature with a few bookings before Johnston got his marching orders.

Just before the interval Michael McQuitty set up Chris Trussell, but McBride pulled off a smart save. In the first minute of added time the hosts were reduced to 10 men when McDermott was booked for the second time.

Randal Reid, who replaced the injured Gary Brown created space for Trussell, but this time the keeper’s legs came to the rescue, and thereafter both defences were supreme, keeping scoring chances to a minimum.

Gradually ‘Breda were gaining the upper-hand, and in the 74th minute they were in front for the first time when Simon Hanna converted a disputed penalty after Getty was adjudged to have fouled Gibson.

All hopes of salvaging a point vanished in the 82nd minute when Wilson drilled the ball into the bottom corner, beyond the reach of Paul Hughes.

The defeat leaves the Reds only two places above the bottom three.

Reflecting on the match, manager Hughes said: “The game seemed to be heading for a draw until Knockbreda got a disputed penalty and despite the defeat we have no fear about going to the Welders next weekend.”

Ballyclare: Hughes - McQuitty, McCart, Wharry (Getty 70), McDermott - McClurg (Taggart 64), Dobbin, O’Hanlon, Johnston - Brown (Reid 49), Trussell. Subs: Shannon, Woods.